From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Which Java on Fedora? Sun's or GNU's?
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:29:24 GMT
On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 10:56 -0500, Edward Capriolo wrote:
> Cassandra pushes your JVM hard. Do not count on your distro which
> might provide versions of things that are 3 months to 2 years old.

Come on.  If it worked fine 3 months ago, then chances are it will
continue to.  This is one of the reasons that people choose
(environmentally )stable distro releases (which are often supported for
much longer than 2 years).

> Chosing what your distro gives your prepare to be disappointed and
> have to upgrade as soon as you get some respectable load.  If you are
> using sun/oracle (That still feels strange to say JVM oracle) you want
> something much higher then just 1.6.0. Go for the latest and greatest
> 1.6.21 or higher JRE/JDK 1.6.23.

FWIW, the wiki says: "For Sun's jvm, this means at least u19; u21 is
better."

> I install the JDK (not the JRE) because its a super set and hey I just
> might feel like compiling something.
>
> Other not so great options... rpm -Uvh --force --skip-deps (If you
> know you have a Java that your RPM manager does not know about)

No.  If this is really the situation, then it's disingenuous to offer
the package at all, and it should be dropped.   I don't think these
command line arguments should ever appear on a public mailing list.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com