Pretty sure I could ask that better:

Is it possible for me to perform RowMutations on BinaryMemtable for a ColumnFamily of type Super?

The bmt_example seems to say that it’s possible, but cassandra 0.7 b3 seems to disagree with the following:

ERROR [MutationStage:38] 2010-11-11 13:47:37,383 DebuggableThreadPoolExecutor.java (line 103) Error in ThreadPoolExecutor

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not supported for Super Columns.

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(BinaryVerbHandler.java:54)

        at org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:62)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not supported for Super Columns.

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumn.value(SuperColumn.java:158)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.load(Table.java:640)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutation.applyBinary(RowMutation.java:206)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(BinaryVerbHandler.java:44)

The code in the bmt_example serializes the CF for the super columns and sets that as column data (made me scratch my head) on a different CF for the RowMutation. Attempting that causes the following exception:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid localDeleteTime read: 0

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(SuperColumn.java:334)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(SuperColumn.java:291)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserializeColumns(ColumnFamilySerializer.java:129)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserialize(ColumnFamilySerializer.java:120)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.defreezeTheMaps(RowMutation.java:368)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(RowMutation.java:378)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(RowMutation.java:336)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationMessageSerializer.deserialize(RowMutationMessage.java:84)

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(BinaryVerbHandler.java:42)

… which is basically because the CFSerializer is (rightly) expecting to deserialize a super column though the bmt_example serialized a Standard CF.

Any help on BMT with supercolumns would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AD