There´s a simple comparison that helped me a lot taking my first steps with cassandra:

keyspace = database
CF = table

;o)

And this one: http://arin.me/blog/wtf-is-a-supercolumn-cassandra-data-model

Btw,  love the new secondary indexes in cassandra 0.7, this saves a lot of time and work! But don´t use beta-3! It has some buggy limitations. ;o)
Instead, svn check out the latest branch from here: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.7/
Than make a:

$ ant clean
$ ant jar

in that directory to build the project. And you are good to go. Works for me. :o)

I hope his helps a bit starting your project. ;o)
greetings André from Germany