From Aditya Muralidharan <Aditya.Muralidha...@nisc.coop>
Subject RE: Booting Cassandra v0.7.0 on Windows: rename failed
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:28:28 GMT
I've run into this as well. Having confirmed that there are no handles on the file (it's only
ever created and used by Cassandra), and having stepped through the code, I've concluded that
something in the io (not sure if it's the jvm or the os) stack is lazy about releasing the
file handle for 'RandomAccessFile's. I was able to get past these issues by setting a breakpoint
after the call to close (on the file-to-be-renamed), waiting 30 seconds, then resuming the
thread. Basically, Cassandra won't start on windows 7 in its current state.

AD

-----Original Message-----
From: Viktor Jevdokimov [mailto:Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 10:13 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: RE: Booting Cassandra v0.7.0 on Windows: rename failed

This isn't a first time Cassandra has I/O issues on Windows.

I think it's not easy to review source code and eliminate such issues, but would like developers
to keep in mind such issues in the future.

We're also running a Cassandra cluster on Windows, but 0.7 beta1 (with similar issue, but
for Commit Log) and waiting for 0.7 release to use it fully on production.

Viktor