From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving a CF from one KS to another
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 02:16:59 GMT
No niftier tricks -- you will need to drain/restart because of the
commitlog headers.  Other than that it should work fine.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM, David King <dking@ketralnis.com> wrote:
> I'd like to move a CF from one keyspace into another. I'm running 0.6.8. Is this just
a matter of draining the nodes, taking down the cluster, updating the schema in storage-conf.xml,
and moving the files themselves? Is there an even niftier trick that I can without taking
down the cluster?

> For the whole story, I currently have two keyspaces (for historical reasons that no longer
apply). Because of the protocol-changes coming in 0.7 it will be easier for my app to just
have one keyspace (rather than set_keyspace constantly or maintain separate connection pools
per KS). Given that this isn't a common operation, I'm sure 0.7's online schema changes won't
support this operation and so after that if I futz with the files on-disk, convincing the
schema to do what I want will be harder, so I'm figuring that doing it before 0.7 is the best
bet. There's no namespace collision or anything funky, I'm just trying to make sure there
are no obvious gotchas.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra