From Ryan King <r...@twitter.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.7 beta3 BinaryMemtable and Supercolumns
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:06:32 GMT
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Aditya Muralidharan
<Aditya.Muralidharan@nisc.coop> wrote:
> Thanks for the response. We're trying to get a general idea of the insert and retrieval
performance, and we figured BinaryMemtable would be a great enabler for our bulk import scenarios.
Normal thrift inserts are certainly fast, but it would be nice to get an idea of how BMT could
improve our throughput.

Before you go trying to improve it, you should be sure that it needs
improvement.

> Are you able to share some general performance numbers for thrift/avro/bmt?

We've consistently found that BMT was unnecessary. We've always run
into some other limit first.

-ryan