From Koert Kuipers <Koert.Kuip...@diamondnotch.com>
Subject encoding of values in cassandra
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:03:54 GMT
Cassandra keys and values are just bytes. My values range from simple doubles to complex objects
so I need to serialize them with something like avro, thrift or protobuf.

Since I am working in a test environment and casssandra is moving to avro I decided to use
the avro protocol  to communicate with cassandra (from python and java). So naturally I would
also like to encode my values with avro (why have 2 serialization frameworks around?). However
avro needs to safe the schema with the serialized values. This is considerable overhead (even
if I just safe pointers to schemas  or something like that with the serialized values). It
also seems complicated compared to thrift or protobuf where one can just store values.

Did anyone find a neat solution to this? Or should I just use avro for communication and something
like protobuf for value serialization?

Best, Koert