From Oleg Anastasyev <olega...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tuning cassandra to use less memory
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:47:54 GMT

> Hi All,We're currently starting to get OOM exceptions in our cluster. I'm
trying to push the limiations of our machines. Currently we have 1.7 G memory
(ec2-medium)I'm wondering if by tweaking some of cassandra's configuration
settings, is it possible to make it live in peace and less memory.
1. What is current java heap size on your nodes ? Is it default 1Gb ? Try to
configure more.
2. Do you use row or key caches ? Try to lower their sizes in configuration.
3. What are memtable throughput mb threshold ? You can try to lower it.
4. Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit VM ? For 1.7Gb RAM size 32-bit VM is enough and
it uses less RAM. so you can give more to Java heap.