From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: RE: deletion
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:23:47 GMT
Ah, I see code in /thrift/ThriftValidation .java
throw new InvalidRequestException("Deletion does not yet support SliceRange predicates.");

Sorry about that, did not fully understand what you were saying. I've done something similar
where I did a get slice get_slice then sent a single batch_mutate to delete all the col's
the get_slice returned. This was done in a loop to process say 1,000 columns at a time.

If deleting data is important to your app, and you *generally* do it over the same time span
such as a whole day. It may be good to support that in the model, and break the rows into
days. If it's not critical, run it as a background task perhaps.

One warning, deleting a lot of columns from a row can cause get_slice on that row to slow
down when a start_column is not specified or does not exist. Until major compaction removes
the tombstones, see http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg05938.html

TimeUUID thing makes sense. I guess you can set the second part to zero when you want to get
all the values after a certain time.

Good Luck
Aaron