From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Preventing an update of a CF row
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:47:22 GMT
> I have a query regarding the insert operation. The insert operation by
> default  inserts an new row or updates an existing row. Is it possible to
> prevent an update but allow only inserts automatically  ( especially when
> multiple clients are writing to cassandra)?  I was wondering if there is any
> flag in cassandra that will validate this for me automatically ( something
> like unique key constraint) ? If not, is it non-trivial to implement this ?
> Any suggestions would be helpful.

There is no way to do this now, and I believe it is non-trivial to
implement. You're saying you want the insert to fail if corresponding
data already exists; but this is non-trivial to do in a distributed
system.

As for suggested work-arounds, that would depend on what you're trying
to do. Could you explain a bit about what the situation is in your
application and what it is trying to do that you want this behavior
for?

--
/ Peter Schuller