As of now I think only rackspace.com support cassandra in der cloud webhosting which will cost around $150 to $200 a month. Der is no cheap kinda thing in cassandra because data is distributed in multiple servers.
I advice you to test on ur LAN only. You can do benchmark testing to test real conditions.
I use 64 bit linux (ubuntu) with 4GB RAM that is more than sufficient to play around.
Samal Gorai