Hey Kevin,

It looks to me like they use LongString to sort primarily by the Long, then secondarily by the String portion of a "LongString".  I believe all you would need to do to implement this is to add a class to src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/marshal .  I would recommend copying LongType to start, then adjust the compare() and getString() methods.  As far as using this for column names goes, I don't think there's anything else to it.  I'm not sure about row keys.

- Tyler