From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: LongType from user input
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2010 03:20:57 GMT
Things a changing in v0.7, the row keys are byte arrays.

Not sure I understand your other concerns.

Aaron

On 25 Sep 2010, at 08:10, Christian Decker <decker.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick answer, I think I'll use an affix to sort of cast the keys, ranges
and others from their textual representation (from Pig) to the desired byte representation,
since I just noticed that the keys for the rows themselfs are always UTF8 interpreted, and
since I want to make key-range as well as slice queries, I'll be better off this way I think.
I'll just add a 'L' for Long and 'U' for UUID (of any kind).
> Or is there a better way that I just can't see from my beginners angle? :-)thing
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Tyler Hobbs <tyler@riptano.com> wrote:
> Yes, you can use describe_keyspace() and then look through the results.  It's a little
ugly in 0.6, but it works.

> - Tyler
>

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Christian Decker <decker.christian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Well I'm writing a loading function for Pig, and as it happens I want to be able to load
slices from cassandra which are specified in the pig script (thus the input from stdin) but
the ColumnFamily from which to read the data is another parameter and some of the CFs have
UTF8, UUID, TimeUUID or Long types for their keys and columns, so simply converting everything
I get to an 8byte long would break compatibility with the others.
> Now thinking about it I attacked the whole problem in a weird way, since UUID types won't
work either.
> So let me change my question slightly, is there a way in 0.6 to detect the compareWith
type on a running cluster? That way I could convert it to the right type :D

> Regards,
> Chris
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Tyler Hobbs <tyler@riptano.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand why using this with multiple column families prevents you from
converting it.  Could you clarify this?

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Christian Decker <decker.christian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having quite a dilemma with the CompareWith attribute. The Problem is that I have
numeric IDs that I'd like to use as row keys, only that I also have to offer a possibility
to let users input them from std input. Since I cannot ask my users to input an 8byte sequence
representing the ID they'd like, I was about to turn to UTF8, when I remembered that they
are compared lexicographically, so that 100 actually comes before 2, which kills key slices.
Also I cannot just code a converter in since this is supposed to be a used with multiple columnfamilies,
so just converting an integer read into 8bytes isn't going to work either.