From Benjamin Black...@b3k.us>
Subject Re: Cassandra on AWS across Regions
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:23:39 GMT
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Andres March <amarch@qualcomm.com> wrote:
> I thought you might say that.  Is there some reason to gossip IP addresses
> vs hostnames?  I thought that layer of indirection could be useful in more
> than just this use case.

The trade-off for that flexibility is that nodes are now dependent on
name resolution during normal operation, rather than only at startup.
The opportunities for horribly confusing failure scenarios are
numerous and frightening.  Other than NAT (which can clearly be dealt
with without gossiping hostnames), what do you think this would
enable?