From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: RE: Monitoring with Cacti
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 22:47:38 GMT
Will take another look to see what I can "borrow".

Thanks
Aaron

On 14 Sep, 2010,at 03:53 AM, Jeremiah Jordan <JEREMIAH.JORDAN@morningstar.com> wrote:

Have you checked out the munin scripts?  If you want a starting point for something that
pulls data out of jmx and prints it out (so you can catch and graph it).  It is very easy
to setup this to get any jmx value you want.

http://github.com/jamesgolick/cassandra-munin-plugins

From: Aaron Morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:40 PM
To: user@cassandra.apacheorg
Cc: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Monitoring with Cacti

This is my first encounter with cacti, and it's feels a lot like having a cactus violently
inserted in me :) Hopefully this week I can get back to it with a clearer head, part of my
annoyance was probably trying to rush it through on a Friday and it's somewhat taxing configuration.

Over the weekend I was thinking about going with some python (our in house favorite) in front
of the jmxterm jar.

I'll also try to learn a bit more about cacti, it cannot be as hard as it seemed on Friday.

I'll email you out of the list this week if I make some progress.

Aaron

On 11 Sep, 2010,at 03:31 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Am going through the rather painful process of trying to monitor cassandra using Cacti
(it's what we use at work). At the moment it feels like a losing battle :)

> Does anyone know of some cacti resources for monitoring the JVM or Cassandra metrics
other than...

> mysql-cacti-templates
> http://code.google.com/p/mysql-cacti-templates/
> - provides templates and data sources that require ssh and can monitor JVM heap and a
few things.

> Cassandra-cacti-m6
> http://www.jointhegrid.com/cassandra/cassandra-cacti-m6.jsp
> Coded for version 0.6* , have made some changes to stop it looking for stats that no
longer exist. Missing some metrics I think but it's probably the best bet so far. If I get
it working I'll contribute it back to them Most of the problems were probably down the how
much effort it takes to setup cacti.

> jmxterm
> http://www.cyclopsgroup.org/projects/jmxterm/
> Allows for command line access to JMX. I started down the path of writing a cacti data
source to use this just to see how it worked. Looks like a lot of work.

> Thanks for any advice.
> Aaron

Setting up cacti is easy, the second time, and third time :)
As for cassandra-cacti-m6 (i am the author). Unfortunately, I have
been fighting the jmx switcharo battle for about 3 years now
hadoop/hbase/cassandra/hornetq/vserver

In a nutshell there is ALWAYS work involved. First, is because as you
noticed attributes change/remove/add/renamed. Second it takes a human
to logically group things together. For example, if you have two items
"cache hits" and "cache misses". You really do not want two separate
graphs that will scale independently. You want one slick stack graph,
with nice colors, and you want a CDEF to calculate the cache hit
percentage by dividing one into the other and show that at the bottom.

If you want to have a 7.0 branch to cassandra-cacti-m6 I would love
the help. We are not on 7.0 yet so I have not had the time just to go
out and make graphs for a version we are not using yet :) but if you
come up with patches they are happily accepted.

Edward