From "Stu Hood" <stu.h...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: column expiration and rows in 0.7
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 03:00:36 GMT
Minor compactions will often be able to perform this garbage collection as well in 0.6.6 and
0.7.0 due to a great optimization implemented by Sylvain:

-----Original Message-----
From: "Aaron Morton" <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:47pm
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: column expiration and rows in 0.7

The data will only be physically deleted when a major compaction runs and the GCGraceSeconds
has passed. You need to trigger the compaction using node tool.

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DistributedDeletes

Aaron
On 23 Sep 2010, at 12:14, Alaa Zubaidi <alaa.zubaidi@pdf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am expecting my data size to be around nGB. However, it keeps growing and growing.
>
> I am setting the gc_grace_seconds for the CF to 5 hours, and I am also setting "ttl"
for all columns on a row and expecting that these columns will be "deleted" after the ttl
time, and will be "removed" after gc_grace_seonds, and I was told that the if ALL columns
are deleted the whole row will be deleted as well? is this true or not?