Under 0.6.* you need to alter the storage-conf.xml and restart the node. You can do this as a rolling restart in the cluster.

Under 0.7* you can make dynamic changes to the storage config through the API.

If your experimenting perhaps you could grab the source code for 0.7 and give it a try. I think beta 1 will be out in a few weeks.

Aaron