From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: RE: Multiple Keyspaces and memtables
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 06:25:21 GMT
Thanks Stu, I'll put my thinking cap on.

Aaron

On 23 Aug, 2010,at 04:15 PM, Stu Hood <stu.hood@rackspace.com> wrote:

Hey Aaron,

We are thinking a lot about multi-tenancy, but features to support multiple tenants on a cluster
are only beginning to make their way into Cassandra. See http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MultiTenant
for a short listing of features that are being considered (including a mention of memory considerations).

If you have more thoughts on the matter, please feel free to add them to that page.

Thanks,
Stu

-----Original Message-----
From: "Aaron Morton" <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:51pm
To: "Cassandra User" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Multiple Keyspaces and memtables

Am playing with the dynamic schema features of 0.7 and thinking about the impact of more keyspaces.
Memtable settings are per CF, and so per Keyspace - so adding more keyspaces increases the
amount of memory needed for memtables on the node.

There are also some new features in the config for multi tenant installs. Which seems to support
using more keyspaces.

So my (rambling) question is: Are there any other features to support managing memory in
a cluster with many keyspaces? Am I right in thinking that for every keyspace every node needs
to support at least ((num CF) * memtable_throughoput_in_mb) * 2 ?

Is anyone out there running more than a couple of keyspaces in a single cluster?

Cheers
Aaron