From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: TokenRange contains endpoints without any port information?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:47:59 GMT
The assumption would be that you will only have one instance of cassandra per machine. So you
could contact it on the appropriate port, such as 9160 for thrift. (I've not run this command
but assume it's returning IP4 addresses)

What sort of client side load balancing where you thinking of? I just use round robin DNS
to distribute clients around the cluster, and have them recycle their connections every so
often.

Aaron

On 9 Aug 2010, at 00:21, Carsten Krebs wrote:

> I'm wondering why a TokenRange returned by describe_ring(keyspace) of the thrift API
just returns endpoints consisting only of an address but omits any port information?
> My first thought was, this method could be used to expose some information about the
ring structure to the client, i.e. to do some client side load balancing. But now, I'm not
sure about this anymore. Additionally, when looking into the code, I guess the address returned
as part of the TokenRange is the address of the storage service which could differ from the
thrift address, which in turn would make the returned endpoint useless for the client.