From Thomas Heller <i...@zilence.net>
Subject Re: Columns limit
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 23:32:37 GMT
Howdy,

thought I jump in here. I did something similar, meaning I had lots of
items coming in per day and wanted to somehow partition them to avoid
running into the column limit (it was also logging related). Solution
was pretty simple, log data is immutable, so no SuperColumn needed.

ColumnFamily Standard: LogRecords, CompareWith=TimeUUIDType

Row Key "20100806":
 Column Name: TimeUUID.new Value: JSON({'remote_addr':...,
'user_agent':...., 'url':....)
 ..., more Columns

In my case I chose to "partition" by day, if you are getting too many
columns per day, just get hours in there. If you want an extra
seperation level (foo, bar) in your example you could either go for a
SuperColumn or just adjust your row key accordingly (eg.
"foo:20100806")

HTH,
/thomas