From Benjamin Black...@b3k.us>
Subject Re: TokenRange contains endpoints without any port information?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:00:24 GMT
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Carsten Krebs <carsten.krebs@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering why a TokenRange returned by describe_ring(keyspace) of the thrift API
just returns endpoints consisting only of an address but omits any port information?
> My first thought was, this method could be used to expose some information about the
ring structure to the client, i.e. to do some client side load balancing. But now, I'm not
sure about this anymore. Additionally, when looking into the code, I guess the address returned
as part of the TokenRange is the address of the storage service which could differ from the
thrift address, which in turn would make the returned endpoint useless for the client.

Not just _could_ differ, is _guaranteed_ to differ.  The inter-node
protocol is not Thrift.  The returned endpoint is not useless for the
client: you had to connect to the RPC port to even make the call.  Use
the same port when connecting to the other nodes.  It is bad practice
to have RPC ports differ between nodes in the same cluster.

> What is the purpose of this method or respectively why is the port information omitted?

Discovering which nodes are in the ring and which node claims each range.