From Dave Viner <>
Subject Re: need help on cassandra client
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:35:24 GMT
HI Cassam,

I'm using the perl Thrift API against 0.6.4 currently.

It sounds like you are having trouble getting thrift installed and/or
getting the perl bindings built.  If you already have thrift installed, you
can just run:

% thrift --gen perl interface/cassandra.thrift

The libraries are now in gen-perl/Cassandra*

You can copy those to your perl directory of choice.

Once you have the libraries installed, you should be able to run the sample
code from to connect.

Dave Viner

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Eric Evans <> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 13:00 +0530, cassam read wrote:
> > I have tried cassandra 0.6.4 with replication factor 3 on 4 VM node .
> > everything (column,super-column,
> > replication,failover) i tried was successful from cli.
> > But I am stucked with thrift client. How to access cassandra thrift.
> > Do i have to compile thrift pkg for perl or I can directly used
> > Net-Cassandra
> > <>
> > I have search all available link /tutorial /post .
> > Please help me out to access cassandra from perl.
> It's best to think of Thrift as our line protocol.  In the same way that
> you would not want to code an application against the socket protocol of
> MySQL or PostgreSQL, you really don't want to code an application
> against Thrift for Cassandra.  If you can help it.  Preferably you want
> a high-level idiomatic client library.
> All of the high-level client libraries that we know about can be found
> here:
>  for 0.6.x
>  for trunk/
> Hopefully one of the Perl entries there is of help to you, but there
> isn't much interest in Cassandra from Perl so if that fails you then
> Thrift may be your only option.  You can read more about that at:
> If using another language is an option, Hector for Java, or Pycassa for
> Python are good options.  I'm also told the Ruby library at
> is first-rate as well.
> --
> Eric Evans

View raw message