From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Cassandra disk space utilization WAY higher than I would expect
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:16:09 GMT
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Julie <> wrote:
> At this point, I logged in.  The data distribution on this node was 122GB.  I
> started performing a manual nodetool cleanup.

Check the size of the Hinted Handoff CF? If your nodes are flapping
under sustained write, they could be storing a non-trivial number of
hinted handoff rows? Probably not 5x usage though..
The reason why you run nodetool cleanup on all live nodes [after
replacing a node] is to remove old Hinted Handoff writes stored for
the dead node.

You could relatively quickly determine whether Hinted Handoff is
implicated by running your test with the feature turned off.

View raw message