From Carsten Krebs <carsten.kr...@gmx.net>
Subject TokenRange contains endpoints without any port information?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:21:14 GMT

I'm wondering why a TokenRange returned by describe_ring(keyspace) of the thrift API just
returns endpoints consisting only of an address but omits any port information?
My first thought was, this method could be used to expose some information about the ring
structure to the client, i.e. to do some client side load balancing. But now, I'm not sure
about this anymore. Additionally, when looking into the code, I guess the address returned
as part of the TokenRange is the address of the storage service which could differ from the
thrift address, which in turn would make the returned endpoint useless for the client.
What is the purpose of this method or respectively why is the port information omitted?

TIA,

Carsten