From Claire Chang <>
Subject Re: NullPointerException and Java client hang
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2010 02:46:33 GMT
I was able to reproduce this exception consistently. Then I realized that in /etc/default/cassandra

It was set to 256 (Bytes). Before It was 128M. I changed it to 256M and made sure that the
-Xmx and -Xms in and /etc/init.d/cassandra are all in sync.

After applying these changes, the exception no longer occurs in my 3 node cluster. BTW, my
Xmx is set to 4G.

Hope this helps.

On Jul 30, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Peter Schuller wrote:

>> I am getting following exception:
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.apply(
> Are you triggering this repeatedly without difficulty?
> Can you run with the attached patch (indentation is messed up in the
> patch though - sorry, no time to fix it now)? Hopefully it should emit
> (at level error) in the log a message indication it failed to obtain a
> column family store, followed by a list of all known column family
> stores, prior to bailing with the same exception.
> Is this happening on every node or just one? When did this start - did
> it start right after a schema change (keyspace addition)?
> (I'm just grasping at straws based on a cursory examination; I may be
> barking up the wrong tree completely.)
> --
> / Peter Schuller
> <cassandra-0.6.3-missingcfslog.patch>