From Rob Coli <>
Subject Re: Cassandra disk space utilization WAY higher than I would expect
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:55:12 GMT
On 8/20/10 1:58 PM, Julie wrote:
> Julie<julie.sugar<at>>  writes:
> Please see previous post but is hinted handoff a factor if the CL is set to ALL?

Your previous post looks like a flush or compaction is causing the node
to mark its neighbors down. Do you see correlation between memtable
flushes or compaction and the GMFD marking? Are you running a version of
Cassandra (<=0.6.4) which has the MESSAGE-DESERIALIZER-POOL bug, and/or
are you seeing a backup there? That can cause GMFD to incorrectly mark
nodes down..

However you are correct, I missed that you are writing at CL.ALL. With
CL.ALL, you should get an exception if nodes are unreachable during a
write. This means that Hinted Handoff is unlikely to be the culprit for
your usage bloat. As you clearly have nodes which are occasionally
considered unreachable.. are you seeing those exceptions?

View raw message