From Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>
Subject Re: Changing schema w/o losing data - Can it be done?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 20:24:54 GMT
On 8/4/10 1:27 AM, David Boxenhorn wrote:
> When I change schema I need to delete the commit logs - otherwise I get
> a null pointer exception.

In versions prior to 0.6.4, there is a bug which leads to an infinite
loop when :

a) you stop the node without doing "nodetool drain" first
b) then you remove a columnfamily from the storage-conf.xml
c) and then you restart the node

The solution is to always do a "nodetool drain" before conf file changes
which remove a CF. The specific bug referred to above was fixed in 0.6.4
as a side-effect of the patching of CASSANDRA-685.

=Rob

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-685