From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: need help on cassandra client
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:22:04 GMT
On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 13:00 +0530, cassam read wrote:
> I have tried cassandra 0.6.4 with replication factor 3 on 4 VM node .
> everything (column,super-column,
> replication,failover) i tried was successful from cli.
> But I am stucked with thrift client. How to access cassandra thrift.
> Do i have to compile thrift pkg for perl or I can directly used
> Net-Cassandra
> <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-Cassandra/lib/Net/Cassandra.pm>
> I have search all available link /tutorial /post .
> Please help me out to access cassandra from perl.

It's best to think of Thrift as our line protocol.  In the same way that
you would not want to code an application against the socket protocol of
MySQL or PostgreSQL, you really don't want to code an application
against Thrift for Cassandra.  If you can help it.  Preferably you want
a high-level idiomatic client library.

All of the high-level client libraries that we know about can be found
here:

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientOptions06  for 0.6.x
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientOptions  for trunk/

Hopefully one of the Perl entries there is of help to you, but there
isn't much interest in Cassandra from Perl so if that fails you then
Thrift may be your only option.  You can read more about that at:

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/InstallThrift
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ThriftExamples#Perl
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/API06

If using another language is an option, Hector for Java, or Pycassa for
Python are good options.  I'm also told the Ruby library at
http://github.com/fauna/cassandra is first-rate as well.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com