My understanding is that the coordinator will acknowledge the writes faster then they can actually be written. Eventually it will run out of buffer space.

see http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#slows_down_after_lotso_inserts

Using CL.ONE makes it harder for the clients to flood the cluster with more writes than it can perform. As usual add more nodes to add more write throughput.

Aaron