From Julie <julie.su...@nextcentury.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra disk space utilization WAY higher than I would expect
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:05:15 GMT
Rob Coli <rcoli <at> digg.com> writes:

> Is your workload straight INSERT or does it contain UPDATE and/or
> DELETE? If your workload contains UPDATE/DELETE and GCGraceSeconds (10
> days by default) hasn't passed, you might have a non-trivial number of
> tombstone rows. Only major compactions clean up tombstones in the
> current implementation and even given improvements [1] they will always
> be necessary in some cases.
>
> =Rob

I am in the testing phase so I'm writing dummy data using keys numbered '1' to
'1000000', writing each row exactly once.  I'm using batch_mutate() but in this
particular case my batch size is 1.  I do not do any deletes and I am not
overwriting any rows since I write each key (1-1,000,000) only once.  So I don't
think I should have any tombstones, unless there's something going on that I
don't know about.

Thanks for your help,
Julie