From Michael Dürgner <mich...@duergner.de>
Subject Re: EC2 small instance config?
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 06:27:38 GMT
Have you done some testing with small nodes already? Because from what we saw trying to run
IO bound services on small instances is, that their IO performance is really bad compared
to other instance types as you can read in several blogs.

Would be interesting to hear, if a Cassandra cluster can handle that.

Sent from my iPhone

On 07.07.2010, at 07:30, Andrew Rollins <andrew@localytics.com> wrote:

> Anyone using Amazon EC2 small instances for a production cluster under reasonably high
loads (perhaps hundreds or low thousands ops/sec)?

> I'm looking for an example storage-conf.xml file to use as a guide. If you've done one
and would be willing to share, please let me know.

> I'm willing to bet a few people think running a few small nodes in a cluster is a bad
idea and that maybe I should just use one or two large instances, but it should be doable
for the throughput I'm targeting. Using smalls also provides a better spread of data (more
smaller nodes equals more cuts of the data, which means less data to move after node failure).