From Viktor Jevdokimov <>
Subject RE: Running Cassandra as a Windows Service
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:39:13 GMT

Can you share your experience with running Cassandra as a Windows Service?

Thank you,

From: Kochheiser,Todd W - TO-DITT1 []
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:34 PM
To: ''
Subject: Running Cassandra as a Windows Service

For various reasons I am required to deploy systems on Windows.  As such, I went looking for
information on running Cassandra as a Windows service.  I've read some of the user threads
regarding running Cassandra as a Windows service, such as this one:

I also found the following JIRA issue:

As it didn't look like anyone has contributed a formal solution and having some experience
using Apache's Procrun (, I decided to go ahead
and write a batch script and a simple "WindowsService" class to accomplish the task.  The
WindowsService class only makes calls to public methods in CassandraDeamon and is fairly simple.
 In combination with the batch script, it is very easy to install and remove the service.
 At this point, I've installed Cassandra as a Windows service on XP (32 bit), Windows 7 (64
bit) and Windows Server 2008 R1/R2 (64 bit).  It should work fine on other version of Windows
(2K, 2K3).

1.     Has anyone else already done this work?
2.     If not, I wouldn't mind sharing the code/script or contributing it back to the project.
 Is there any interest in this from the Cassandra dev team or the user community?

Ideally the WindowsService could be included in the distributed source/binary distributions
(perhaps in a contrib area) as well as the batch script and associated procrun executables.
 Or, perhaps it could be posted to a Cassandra community site (is there one?).

View raw message