From Oren Benjamin <o...@clearspring.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra benchmarking on Rackspace Cloud
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:50:26 GMT
Just wanted to follow up on this.

We were never able to achieve throughput scaling in the cloud.  We were able to verify that
many of our cluster nodes and test servers were collocated on the same physical hardware (thanks
Stu for the tip on the Rackspace REST API), and that performance on collocated nodes rose
and fell in concert.  Ultimately we moved to dedicated hardware and throughput scaled as expected
with additional nodes.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.  We had to move on in the interest of moving our project
along, but I'd still be interested to see benchmarks from successful cloud installations.
 Maybe with the node routing in 0.7 and larger cluster sizes, the cloud might become a more
viable option for highly available high read throughput applications.

Best,

  -- Oren