From Benjamin Black...@b3k.us>
Subject Re: advice, is cassandra suitable for a multi-tanency vBulletin type application?
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:07:09 GMT
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Benjamin Black <b@b3k.us> wrote:
>> We use Cassandra (multidimensional metrics) *and* redis (counters and
>> alerts) *and* MySQL (supporting Rails).  Right tool for each job.  The
>> idea that it is a good thing to cram everything into a single database
>> (and data model), beaten into everyone by years of relational database
>> marketing, is not true now and never really was.  Embrace diversity!
>
> As I'm sure you know more than most, every component in production has
> an operational cost, and therefore each should be justifiable.

Similarly, there is a cost to using a tool that is ill-suited to the
task.  This is the fundamental trade-off in using more specialized
systems vs a general, relational store.  My experience so far is the
additional operational overhead is quite low, and the benefits in
performance and simplicity of implementation far outweigh it.