From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cluster performance degrades if any single node is slow
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:18:08 GMT
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Mason Hale <mason@onespot.com> wrote:
> I'm curious of what performance benefit is actually being gained from this
> optimization.

It's really pretty easy to saturate gigabit ethernet with a Cassandra
cluster.  Mulitplying traffic by roughly RF is definitely a lose.

> Sorry to keep beating this horse, but we're regularly being alerted to
> performance issues any time a mini-compaction occurs on any node in our
> cluster. I'm fishing for a quick and easy way to prevent this from
> happening.

I believe Brandon is in the process of suggesting enabling compaction
de-prioritization to Scott
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1181).

--
Jonathan Ellis