From Jeremy Hanna <>
Subject Re: Cassandra vs MongoDB
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:59:22 GMT
> "As a result, we designed and built Flume...
> (I wonder if this could deliver into Cassanda :) )

Yes - apparently it's pretty easy to do - I was thinking of doing it but haven't found the
time yet.

On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Aaron Morton wrote:

>> If you are looking to store web logs and then do ad hoc queries you might/should
be using Hadoop (depending on how big your logs are)
> I agree, take a look at the Cloudera Hadopp 3 CDH3, they include an app called Flume
for moving data...
> "As a result, we designed and built Flume. Flume is a distributed service that makes
it very easy to collect and aggregate your data into a persistent store such as HDFS. Flume
can read data from almost any source – log files, Syslog packets, the standard output of
any Unix process – and can deliver it to a batch processing system like Hadoop or a real-time
data store like HBase. All this can be configured dynamically from a single, central location
– no more tedious configuration file editing and process restarting. Flume will collect
the data from wherever existing applications are storing it, and whisk it away for further
analysis and processing."
> (I wonder if this could deliver into Cassanda :) )
> If it's straight log file processing Hadoop may be a better fit.
> Aaron

View raw message