From Sanjay Sharma <sanjay.sha...@impetus.co.in>
Subject RE: A very short summary on Cassandra for a book
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 06:53:03 GMT
Hi Jonathan,
I fear 'row-oriented' could fuel the holy war between 'row-based RDBMS' and 'column-oriented
NoSQL databases'

Some related reads here -
-http://dbmsmusings.blogspot.com/2010/03/distinguishing-two-major-types-of_29.html
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column-oriented_DBMS
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cassandra says- "The values from a column family for
each key are stored together, making Cassandra a hybrid between a column-oriented DBMS and
a row-oriented store"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cassandra certainly needs some cleanup!

Cheers,
Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Ellis [mailto:jbellis@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:11 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: A very short summary on Cassandra for a book

Keep it simple.  Something like "Cassandra is a row-oriented, fully
distributed database designed for scalability, availability, and
durability."

Trying to explain the data model in two sentences is not going to
work, and "4 or 5 dimension associated arrays" is the wrong tree to
bark up entirely.  ("row-oriented" is the right one. :)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Meet Impetus at the OSCON 2010 in Portland, Oregon during July 19th to 23rd. Listen to our
Senior Director of Engineering and expert speaker Vineet Tyagi talk about building a Ruby
application server.

Click http://www.impetus.com/ to know more. Follow our updates on www.twitter.com/impetuscalling
.

or interference.