Our replication factor was 1, so that wasn't the problem. (We tried other replication factors too, just in case, but it didn't help.)

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Nahor <nahor.j+gmane@gmail.com> wrote:
 On 2010-06-02 3:18, David Boxenhorn wrote:
Is it possible to make a heterogeneous Cassandra cluster, with both Linux and Windows nodes? I tried doing it and got

Error in ThreadPoolExecutor
java.lang.NullPointerException

Not sure if this is due to the Linux/Windows mix or something else.


Details below:
[...]


 INFO 21:42:08,091 Bootstrapping

ERROR 21:49:03,526 Error in ThreadPoolExecutor

java.lang.NullPointerException

       at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamInitiateVerbHandler.getNewNames(StreamInitiateVerbHandler.java:154)

       at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamInitiateVerbHandler.doVerb(StreamInitiateVerbHandler.java:76)

       at org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:40)

       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

ERROR 21:49:03,527 Fatal exception in thread Thread[MESSAGE-DESERIALIZER-POOL:1,5,main]

java.lang.NullPointerException

       at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamInitiateVerbHandler.getNewNames(StreamInitiateVerbHandler.java:154)

       at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamInitiateVerbHandler.doVerb(StreamInitiateVerbHandler.java:76)

       at org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:40)

       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)



Looks like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1136

Make sure you have enough nodes in your cluster to satisfy your replication factor before you add any data. This is what seems to be source of the problem in my case.

That said, I was also using an heterogeneous system (Linux + Windows) but I think I tested it with only Linux nodes too.