THX for your reply ,Jonathan.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Anty <anty.rao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:ALL
> I have 10 nodes cluster ,after inserting many records into the cluster, i
> compact each node by nodetool compact.

5000 uncompacted sstables is unusual.  did you disable compaction
during your inserts?  that is dangerous.

No, i do not disable compaction during my inserts. It is weird the minor compaction is triggered less ofen.
I don't known why.Do you have any idea about this?

> during the compaciton process ,something  wrong with one of the 10 nodes ,
> when the size of the compacted temp file rech nearly 100GB( before
> compaction ,the size is ~240G)

sounds like it just didn't have enough memory to compact 5000 sstables
at once.  not very surprising.

a better approach: let it perform minor compactions normally, and when
it is done with that (no compaction in progress and
compactionmanager.pendingtasks == 0), then issue the major compaction
if you still want to.
I will try it.

--
Jonathan Ellis