Regarding compaction thresholds... the BMT example says to set the threshold to 0 during an import.  Is this advisable during any bulk import (say using batch mutations or just lots and lots of thrift inserts)?

Also, when I asked "are folks open to..." I meant that I'm happy to code a patch if anyone's interested.
Ian