And three days later, AE stages are still running full-bore.  So I conclude this is not a very good approach.

I wonder what will happen when I lose a disk (which is essentially the same as what I did -- rm the data directory).  What happens if I lose a disk while the AE stages are running?  Since my RF is 3, I assume that I have data loss when three disks are gone.

Not very happy.  I'm going to blow away what I have, do another reload, then try dropping a disk again, just to confirm the results... I can't really believe this is how it should happen.

Ian