Thanks Jonathan, I was only asking about the event listeners because an alternative we are considering is TIBCO Active Spaces which draws quite a lot of parallels to Cassandra.

I guess it would be interesting to find out how other people use Cassandra, i.e., is it your one stop shop for data storage or do you also store to a RDBMs to re-use the data? One factor I need to consider is our Business Intelligence platform that will need to use the data stored for reporting purposes.

We are looking at using Cassandra for our real-time layer for Active-Active data centre use and perhaps have Oracle installed alongside for non-real-time use such that data is mediated to the Oracle database for other uses.

Anthony

From: Jonathan Shook [mailto:jshook@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 16 June 2010 10:58 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Some questions about using Cassandra

Doh! Replace "of" with "if" in the top line.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Jonathan Shook <jshook@gmail.com> wrote:

There is JSON import and export, of you want a form of external backup.

No, you can't hook event subscribers into the storage engine. You can modify it to do this, however. It may not be trivial.

An easier way to do this would be to have a boundary system (or dedicated thread, for example) consume data in small amounts, using some temporal criterion, with a checkpoint. If the results of consuming the data are idempotent, you don't have to use a checkpoint, necessarily, but some cyclic rework may occur.

If your storage layout includes temporal names, it should be straightforward. The details how exactly how would depend on your storage layout, but it is not unusual as far as requirements go.