From Dmitrii Dimandt <dmitr...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about data modeling
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:24:07 GMT
I'm currently trying to wrap my head around Cassandra which is definitely not easy for a mind
deeply entrenched in SQL :)

I see how blogs/tweets etc. can be modeled in Cassandra. However, I have a sightly different
problem.

Let's say we let the user see a random item(article/picture/recipe/you-name-it) and vote for
it. We should show the most popular items, the last articles/pictures the user has voted for
etc.

1. How can I show the most popular items?
2. How can I present the user with a random item he hasn't seen yet?

For the first question I figured I could have a <ColumnFamily CompareWith="LongType"  Name="Rating"/>
and store lists of items per each rating, updating them as necessary. Can't figure out a way
to correctly implement question number 2.