From Stephan Pfammatter <Stephan.Pfammat...@logmein.com>
Subject Cassandra Cluster Setup
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:07:07 GMT
I'm having difficulties setting up a 3 way cassandra cluster. Any comments/help would be appreciated.

My goal is that all data should be fully replicated amongst the 3 nodes. I want to simulate
the failure of one node and proof that the test column family still can be accessed.
In a nutshell I did the following 3 steps. The excerpt below shows the changed storage-con.xml:

(1)    I started Cassandra-ca and worked fine. I added 3 rows to a cf cf_test.

(2)    Then I started Cassandra-or. It comes up ok but goes into "sleeping 30000".....mode

(3)    Nodetool streams doesn't reveal anything.

Node: Cassandra-ca
<AutoBootstrap>false</AutoBootstrap>
<Keyspace Name="ks_test">
                <ColumnFamily Name="cf_test" CompareWith="UTF8Type" />
        <ReplicaPlacementStrategy>org.apache.cassandra.locator.RackUnawareStrategy</ReplicaPlacementStrategy>
                <ReplicationFactor>1</ReplicationFactor>
                <EndPointSnitch>org.apache.cassandra.locator.EndPointSnitch</EndPointSnitch>
</Keyspace>
  <Seeds><Seed>cassandra-ca</Seed></Seeds>
  <ThriftAddress>cassandra-us</ThriftAddress>
 <ThriftPort>9160</ThriftPort>
<ListenAddress>cassandra-us</ListenAddress>

Cassandra-or
<AutoBootstrap>true</AutoBootstrap>
<Keyspace Name="ks_test">
                <ColumnFamily Name="cf_test" CompareWith="UTF8Type" />
        <ReplicaPlacementStrategy>org.apache.cassandra.locator.RackUnawareStrategy</ReplicaPlacementStrategy>
                <ReplicationFactor>1</ReplicationFactor>
                <EndPointSnitch>org.apache.cassandra.locator.EndPointSnitch</EndPointSnitch>
</Keyspace>
  <Seeds><Seed>cassandra-or</Seed></Seeds>
  <ThriftAddress>cassandra-or</ThriftAddress>
 <ThriftPort>9160</ThriftPort>
<ListenAddress>cassandra-or</ListenAddress>

Cassandra-az

Cassandra-or
<AutoBootstrap>true</AutoBootstrap>
<Keyspace Name="ks_test">
                <ColumnFamily Name="cf_test" CompareWith="UTF8Type" />
        <ReplicaPlacementStrategy>org.apache.cassandra.locator.RackUnawareStrategy</ReplicaPlacementStrategy>
                <ReplicationFactor>1</ReplicationFactor>
                <EndPointSnitch>org.apache.cassandra.locator.EndPointSnitch</EndPointSnitch>
</Keyspace>
  <Seeds><Seed>cassandra-az</Seed></Seeds>
  <ThriftAddress>cassandra-az</ThriftAddress>
 <ThriftPort>9160</ThriftPort>
<ListenAddress>cassandra-az</ListenAddress>