From Lucas Di Pentima <lu...@di-pentima.com.ar>
Subject Re: Cassandra won't start after node crash
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:20:02 GMT
Hello Jonathan,

El 08/06/2010, a las 19:15, Jonathan Ellis escribió:

> Sounds like you had some bad hardware take down your index files.
> (Cassandra fsyncs them after writing them and before renaming them to
> being live, so if it's missing pieces then it's always been hardware
> at fault that I have seen.
>
> You could try rebuilding your index files from the data files, but
> they may be toast, too.
>
> So: step 1, run bin/sstable2json to make sure your data files are actually okay.
>
> Step 2, rebuild your index files from your data files.
>
> I can never muster up the energy to make an index rebuilder in Java.
> So here's one in Python.
> [...]

I've only got to step 1, sstable2json raises this exception when run with the two problematic
data files:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.UTFDataFormatException: malformed input around byte 48
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:617)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readUTF(RandomAccessFile.java:887)
        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.loadIndexFile(SSTableReader.java:261)
        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:125)
        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:114)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.export(SSTableExport.java:304)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.export(SSTableExport.java:329)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.main(SSTableExport.java:373)

I tried to run it with another data file and it outputs its contents without problems, so
I suppose that those data files are corrupted, and I should recreate the whole data store...

Thanks
--
Lucas Di Pentima - Santa Fe, Argentina
Jabber: lucas@di-pentima.com.ar