From Paul Prescod <p...@prescod.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra and Thrift on the Server Side
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:36:39 GMT
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Peter Minearo
<Peter.Minearo@reardencommerce.com> wrote:
> First let me premise, I am new to Cassandra.  I just got it installed and
> was able to add data, connect to Cassandra via Thrift and retrieve the
> data.  Since, Thrift uses RPC, I was wondering if Cassandra uses Thrift on
> the server side to handle the requests from the clients?

Yes. Thrift is a protocol, so if the client speaks it, the server must
do so also. Otherwise how would they talk? Perhaps I don't understand
your question.

> .... I know Thrift is
> used on the client side, but what about the server side?   If this is true;
> is there a reason for it?  Was a REST API with a JSON payload tried?  Are
> there any plans to create a REST API for Cassandra?

Here is some discussion about that:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201006.mbox/%3C1276895545.3832.78.camel@erebus.lan%3E

Follow the thread links to learn more about AVRO, which will replace
Thrift in Cassandra.

 Paul Prescod