From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data format stability
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:45:18 GMT
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Matthew Conway <matt@backupify.com> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2010, at Sun Jun 13, 9:34 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Matthew Conway <matt@backupify.com> wrote:
>>> The ability to dynamically add new column families.  Our app is currently under
heavy development, and we will be adding new column families at least once a week after we
have shipped the initial production app. From the existing docs, it seemed to me that the
procedure for changing schema in 0.6 is very manual in nature and thus error prone and likely
to cause data corruption.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

>> I do schema manipulations in 0.6 regularly.  The answer is automation.
>
> I already have automation, whats missing are the details of the exact steps I need to
automate to accomplish the schema modification on a live cluster.  Even the FAQ just points
to the feature in 0.7 trunk.

Huh?  http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#modify_cf_config

> Even if I were to use 0.6, the same question stands - if the data format is going to
change, I need to know if there will be an upgrade path between the formats.  I'm using trunk
right now, but once I find a version that works for me (i.e. without the file descriptor leaks)
I'm unlikely to upgrade again till 0.7 is released.

0.7 will be able to read 0.6 data files.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra