From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra won't start after node crash
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:23:44 GMT
Hmm.  That seems to be saying that sstable2json is using the index
file, and erroring out there the same way the Cassandra server does.
So it doesn't necessarily mean the data files are corrupt.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Lucas Di Pentima
<lucas@di-pentima.com.ar> wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> El 08/06/2010, a las 19:15, Jonathan Ellis escribió:
>
>> Sounds like you had some bad hardware take down your index files.
>> (Cassandra fsyncs them after writing them and before renaming them to
>> being live, so if it's missing pieces then it's always been hardware
>> at fault that I have seen.
>>
>> You could try rebuilding your index files from the data files, but
>> they may be toast, too.
>>
>> So: step 1, run bin/sstable2json to make sure your data files are actually okay.
>>
>> Step 2, rebuild your index files from your data files.
>>
>> I can never muster up the energy to make an index rebuilder in Java.
>> So here's one in Python.
>> [...]
>
> I've only got to step 1, sstable2json raises this exception when run with the two problematic
data files:

> Exception in thread "main" java.io.UTFDataFormatException: malformed input around byte
48
>        at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:617)
>        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readUTF(RandomAccessFile.java:887)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.loadIndexFile(SSTableReader.java:261)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:125)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.io.SSTableReader.open(SSTableReader.java:114)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.export(SSTableExport.java:304)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.export(SSTableExport.java:329)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.SSTableExport.main(SSTableExport.java:373)
>
> I tried to run it with another data file and it outputs its contents without problems,
so I suppose that those data files are corrupted, and I should recreate the whole data store...

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra