From Benjamin Black...@b3k.us>
Subject Re: Seeds, autobootstrap nodes, and replication factor
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 18:21:01 GMT
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Philip Stanhope <pstanhope@wimba.com> wrote:
> I guess I'm thick ...
>
> What would be the right choice? Our data demands have already been proven to scale beyond
what RDB can handle for our purposes. We are quite pleased with Cassandra read/write/scale
out. Just trying to understand the operational considerations.

Cassandra supports online topology changes, but those operations are
not cheap.  If you are expecting frequent addition and removal of
nodes from a ring, things will be very unstable or slow (or both).  As
I already mentioned, having a large cluster (and 40 nodes qualifies
right now) with RF=number of nodes is going to make read and write
operations get more and more expensive as the cluster grows.  While
you might see reasonable performance at current, small scale, it will
not be the case when the cluster gets large.

I am not aware of anything like Cassandra (or any other Dynamo system)
that support such extensive replication and topology churn.  You might
have to write it.