From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RackAwareStrategy Documentation Disparity
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:48:08 GMT
I'm not sure what parts of these you think are in conflict.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Blew, Aaron <aaron.blew@iovation.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was browsing the docs for the RackAware replication strategy and saw this on the wiki:
>
> "RackAwareStrategy: replica 2 is placed in the first node along the ring the belongs
in another data center than the first; the remaining N-2 replicas, if any, are placed on the
first nodes along the ring in the *same* rack as the first"

> However the storage.conf comments say the following:
> "Strategy: Setting this to the class that implements IReplicaPlacementStrategy will change
the way the node picker works.  Out of the box, Cassandra provides org.apache.cassandra.locator.RackUnawareStrategy
and org.apache.cassandra.locator.RackAwareStrategy (place one replica in a different datacenter,
and the others on different racks in the same one.)"

> To me the comments in storage.conf make more sense since you'd want datacenter diversity
for the data as well as rack level diversity within the local datacenter.  Which one is accurate?
 Is the disparity a result of the wiki page not being updated after the behavior changed
with a release?

> Thanks all,
> -Aaron
>
> ---
> Aaron Blew -
> Sr. Infrastructure Engineer | The Automator
> iovation - The Power of Reputation™
>
> aaron.blew@iovation.com
>

> iovation
> 111 SW Fifth Avenue
> Suite 3200
> Portland, OR 97204
> http://www.iovation.com/
>
> The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
copying is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra